Saturday, December 22, 2012

the GREAT bed makeover

For years, I have had a mixed match set of linens.  Sheets from Target, shams (that match my duvet cover) from a department store, and a lighter blanket from Ikea.  I never could make them match. 


One thing about work travel is being spoiled with nice big beds, plush linens, and many many pillows.  Oh and the fact that everything usually matches or ties together to look great.  Unfortunately, my bed did not look great.  A random trip to JoAnn's and I found this fabric(!): 


A few months ago (read maybe 8 months ago), on another shopping trip to JoAnn's, I had purchased several throw pillows.  On another similar visit to Target, I had purchased some dish towels I though might help bring my bed linens together.  They were close, but not enough.  The new pattern FINALLY brought everything all together.  So I set out to make some throw pillows!

The first pillow was simple: cut fabric, stitch together 3 sides, sew on snaps on the 4th end to make the pillow case easy to remove for washing (as needed).


Now I needed to tie the dish towels into the mix.  Pulling from the design of the new fabric.  I came up with some diagonal patterns and a spiral pattern.  Using a pencil, I sketched the designs right onto the (clean and ironed) towels.  I used embroidery floss to create the designs.  



Here's the finished result of all of the pillows combined with the mismatched sets:  




















A now that the bed is complete and I have hung my Martini girls my bedroom feels complete :)


No comments:

Post a Comment